OCRoleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A My Little Pony based Free-form roleplaying site, a place for your Original MLP Characters to call home.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Taking a break?; Absence Anouncements
"That's one small step for man, one... STOP POKING ME!"

The misadventures of a polymath. (Private)

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Mr. Market
Admin
Admin
Mr. Market

The misadventures of a polymath. (Private) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The misadventures of a polymath. (Private)   The misadventures of a polymath. (Private) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2015 1:35 am

It was now that Sugary was faced with a problem he knew was tough to deal with. It wasn't about finding ancient booty, or slaying a foe, or exploring dangerous terrains, but trying to help a young mare overcome her family; A rather daunting task indeed. He was tapping his chin in thought to the mare's plight, until something sparked in his mind, and smiled. "Well... Can't you split your time to be a researcher and a musician? Surely there has to be a way for you to explore both options in this city... Or, have you tried that already? Cause otherwise, there's little I can say, aside from encouraging you to just... Go your own way, even at the risk of being disowned... If you think your goal is worth the risk, that is." There was more in his mind, but it helped to know what came off of what he proposed.
Back to top Go down
Sharp

Sharp

PostSubject: Re: The misadventures of a polymath. (Private)   The misadventures of a polymath. (Private) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2015 8:29 pm

“Like I said, Market, the Royal Orchestra doesn’t wait for you. You either commit yourself to it and its members, or you don’t…” Sharp said with a sigh. “It’s not about my future, really… I know I’m going to become some sort of researcher eventually, regardless of my parent’s opinions and financial aid. It’s more like I don’t want them to be disappointed.” she continued, pausing to take a sip from her lemonade.

“Have you ever been in a position where you’ve been given a choice? Where on one hoof, you can please yourself at the cost of those close to you, and on the other… you can please those close to you at the cost of yourself?” The polymath asked Sugary.
Back to top Go down
http://www.nationstates.net/nation=accenture
Mr. Market
Admin
Admin
Mr. Market

PostSubject: Re: The misadventures of a polymath. (Private)   The misadventures of a polymath. (Private) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2015 3:18 am

Sugary's ears briefly drooped, and then flicked lightly as he thought about Sharp's question. He certainly had moments like that, but not under the same circumstances. "Hm... Given my career, it's more like I've had to make some tough choices on a split second involving success and failure... Sometimes for the sake of others, and sometimes for myself... I can see why it's hard to pick though. But let me ask you this then..." He smiled a bit, as if trying to reassure things didn't have to be so black and white. "Don't you think you'll just end up regretting it more if you pick neither one? I doubt you'll get very far if you just tiptoe both all the time... In fact, pretend nothing's wrong! If you had all the freedom in the world, without consequence, what would you really do?"
Back to top Go down
Sharp

Sharp

PostSubject: Re: The misadventures of a polymath. (Private)   The misadventures of a polymath. (Private) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2015 3:26 am

“Usurp Princess Celestia and declare geological anomalies of all kinds illegal, ruling my rock-less empire with an iron-hoof.” Sharp answered instantly and completely seriously. She started a Market for a few moments after responding, before laughing. “That was a joke. All the freedom in the world, eh? Mmm… I’d probably build a book fort. Not a literal fort made of books, mind you, that’s totally impractical… But, a place where I could just spend every moment reading, writing and stuff…” She continued after a moment of thought. Of course, for the polymath to be openly telling jokes, and even laughing so freely… Market must have been doing something right. Sharp seemed pretty at ease.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Market
Admin
Admin
Mr. Market

PostSubject: Re: The misadventures of a polymath. (Private)   The misadventures of a polymath. (Private) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2015 1:12 pm

Sugary slowly, but surely, laughed heartily along with Sharp. It took a fair bit to quiet down as she gave such a stoic expression to go along with her absurd jest. "Aah haa... Mmm... I'm good... And a book fort, uh? Sounds like a private library would be heaven for you then... Although..." He mused wistfully, amused by a certain idea. "... An actual book fort does sound like a nice spot. Maybe fillies and colts might play with it too..." His mind briefly went elsewhere, as if recalling a memory. "Anyway, I doubt that alone will cover everything though. It sounds like your family breathes down your neck a lot, doesn't it? But how about... going on a journey of self-discovery? Just to make sure you find what you want. Surely your family can allow you that much without issue, right?" He could be proposing a literal adventure for Sharp to set out on. It all depended on how she interpreted his words.
Back to top Go down
Sharp

Sharp

PostSubject: Re: The misadventures of a polymath. (Private)   The misadventures of a polymath. (Private) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2015 8:53 pm

“A journey… of self-discovery?” Sharp repeated. She wasn’t really sure what he meant. The longest journey she had ever taken was from her parent’s home to the Canterlot School For Gifted Unicorns…  As far as she knew, she was pretty aware of herself. Sharp C. Note, resident polymath. What more was there to know? “Where would I go?” she asked. “ Traveling around could be fun, I think… I’ve never really left Canterlot before. Not physically, anyways.”
Back to top Go down
Mr. Market
Admin
Admin
Mr. Market

PostSubject: Re: The misadventures of a polymath. (Private)   The misadventures of a polymath. (Private) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2015 11:59 pm

"Sheesh... Always in this castle town? Look, I won't pretend to be the authority on Scholarly endeavors, but the best lessons are the ones you get to experience for yourself. Do the words 'field research' mean anything to you? I think it might do you some goo-..." He paused, briefly remembering her irrational fear of rocks, but saying next to nothing about it. "Er... I meant to say, it's certainly worth a shot, don't you think? It's not as if you have to travel far, but at least go further than the city gates, at least once. Maybe a different venue is what you need to deal with those doubts of yours... I will say this though: I enjoy traveling when I can. Half the time it's for work, and half the time it's for pleasure. I've rarely regretted my decision to leave home once I got a taste of my own kind of freedom."
Back to top Go down
Sharp

Sharp

PostSubject: Re: The misadventures of a polymath. (Private)   The misadventures of a polymath. (Private) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2015 6:20 pm

Sharp took a little offense at Sugary’s comment about field research. “Magical theory isn't magical theory because you go around applying concepts to everything like some sort of sugar-high foal.” she thought to herself not without a hint of indignation. What Sugary said about leaving Canterlot did make sense to her, however. Her approach to life didn’t seem to be working anymore. It was time for a change.

“I’ll admit, the idea does have merit, Market. Any recommendations? For a destination, that is.” she said, asked, and later added.  It seemed that soon, Canterlot’s resident polymath would become a lot less...resident.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Market
Admin
Admin
Mr. Market

PostSubject: Re: The misadventures of a polymath. (Private)   The misadventures of a polymath. (Private) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2015 6:50 pm

Again, Sugary took a moment to consider an idea for traveling. He did worry his suggestion might end up being a bit much for the seemingly reclusive mare, but if she was willing, he'd provide with any aid he could. He decided upon a location that might dodge a certain fear of hers. "Well... How about taking a train trip to Ponyville? It's close by, and the Everfree Forest is close enough to conduct research... It is dangerous of course, so I don't expect you to actually go into it on your first visit. Also, there's a lot of farmland last I checked, but much of it is nice and even fertile soil... You might wanna avoid the mining area further north of the town, of course, unless the gems there hold some interest to you." As amusing as he thought the image of her being faced with rocks being moved about was, he was more concerned about her state of mind if she buckled under pressure on her first try. He didn't want her to be even more of a shut-in, but she had to start somewhere, he thought.
Back to top Go down
Sharp

Sharp

PostSubject: Re: The misadventures of a polymath. (Private)   The misadventures of a polymath. (Private) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2015 11:17 pm

The polymath took a moment to think over Sugary’s suggestion as she went about eating more of her sub. The Everfree DID interest her. An environment with its own, non-assisted weather? Fascinating. Then there were the gem mines. She had always wanted to incorporate the things into her spells, plus, they looked pretty. When it came to rocks, they were the exception to the rule. The farms were a non factor, agricultural work, while full of merit, was not for her. “Ponyville sounds neat…” she said.

Sharp didn’t really have much more to say on the subject. As far as ideas go, Market’s was neat. It had its merit. She’d probably end up following his suggestion, she didn’t really have any others to choose from in particular, anyways. “I take it you’ve been there, then?” she asked Sugary.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Market
Admin
Admin
Mr. Market

PostSubject: Re: The misadventures of a polymath. (Private)   The misadventures of a polymath. (Private) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2015 11:49 pm

By now, Sugary was done eating and drinking, and slowly cleaning up after himself casually. He looked to Sharp with a light smile as she seemed to be considering his suggestion with less and less hesitation in her voice. "I have, though not very often. Aside from what I mentioned, it's a bit of a sleepy town... Well, actually, not quite... There was a young pink mare with a poofy mane making things lively once in a while. Nice lass, hyper as a bee drinking coffee. So perhaps not too sleepy. I think it should at least keep you entertained enough if you visit."
Back to top Go down
Sharp

Sharp

PostSubject: Re: The misadventures of a polymath. (Private)   The misadventures of a polymath. (Private) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2015 5:22 pm

The idea of a bee high on caffeine amused Sharp. “I wonder what that would look like…” She thought to herself. When Market was done with his description of the occasionally-not-so-sleepy sleepy town she nodded. “Ah. I see.” she said. As for her food, she herself wasn’t quite done with her food so much as she was done eating it.  It seemed, to the mare, that the end of hers and Market’s little chat was near. “So… What now? We seem to both be relatively done with our meals, I take it you’ll be on your way then?” She asked Sugary. “It really was nice crashing into you, Mister Market.”
Back to top Go down
Mr. Market
Admin
Admin
Mr. Market

PostSubject: Re: The misadventures of a polymath. (Private)   The misadventures of a polymath. (Private) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2015 7:46 pm

Sugary hummed and pondered for a moment as he tapped his chin; It seemed he still had a bit more to share with the young Sharp. "Well, dinner between us is done, but... I somehow doubt you'll be leaving for Ponyville right away, will you? So, where do you plan to go after here?" He didn't want to ask her directly, but he was fairly certain her home probably didn't sound too appealing at the moment. He wanted to make sure she'd decide before he ended up somehow leaving a young mare wandering the streets all night long.
Back to top Go down
Sharp

Sharp

PostSubject: Re: The misadventures of a polymath. (Private)   The misadventures of a polymath. (Private) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2015 1:05 am

When Market asked if she would be leaving for Ponyville that night, Sharp shook her head. Tickets needed to be bought, things needed to be packed, parents needed scolding... “I think I’ll go home. Talk to my parents.” She said. “I can’t just leave town without telling them, you know?” she continued, getting up from her chair. Sharp floated her leftovers to a nearby trash-bin, depositing them therein. “What about you? Where are you headed?” the polymath asked Sugary.

Back to top Go down
Mr. Market
Admin
Admin
Mr. Market

PostSubject: Re: The misadventures of a polymath. (Private)   The misadventures of a polymath. (Private) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2015 11:23 pm

Little by little, taking his time to keep Sharp company, Sugary went about placing the backpack on again and strapping it. He smiled at her question and decision with a light chuckle. "You got a good head on your shoulders then... As for me? I got a delivery to make. And if these were other circumstances, I'd offer you a ride on my airship instead... But more than likely, I'll have to go north to follow through with the next task soon. Been running errands for some time and making bits off of that. It's sure to happen at my next stop too. One of those quest filled weeks and all." The way he said 'quest' was in a comical tone, but his face was level the entire time, and was perhaps rather serious about more work along the way. "I take it this is farewell then?" He then slowly raised his hoof towards her, offering a friendly shake to the mare with a new goal.
Back to top Go down
Sharp

Sharp

PostSubject: Re: The misadventures of a polymath. (Private)   The misadventures of a polymath. (Private) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 1:06 am

Sharp nodded in response to Sugary’s goals. A pitty he was busy, but, it was something she’d expected. Ponies had their own lives to live, they couldn’t all revolve around her. She smiled, her hoof raising to meet the stallion’s. “Farewell, Sugary Market.”

Back to top Go down
Mr. Market
Admin
Admin
Mr. Market

PostSubject: Re: The misadventures of a polymath. (Private)   The misadventures of a polymath. (Private) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 1:31 am

Sugary gingerly shook back as he spoke. He was feeling certain they would meet again as he smirked confidently. "Farewell, and good luck, Miss Sharp. I'll be rooting for ya!" He winked, and then let go of her, gave her a curt bow as he took his hat off, and then placed it back on when he was done. "And do watch your step." The stallion then began to trot off, slowly and surely becoming lost in the night crowd as his bright red clothes were less noticeable. From this point on, it was all on Sharp to direct her own life as she saw fit...
Back to top Go down
Sharp

Sharp

PostSubject: Re: The misadventures of a polymath. (Private)   The misadventures of a polymath. (Private) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 3:43 am

And direct she would, for later, a few hours after their parting, Sharp would do as she had said would be done.  Indeed, that night the polymath sat down with her parents--- though not without some demanding on her part--- and they spoke of what the future may hold for her. The talk itself was pleasant enough, they hadn’t reacted all too poorly to her decision to leave. Long Bar and Minor Third did, however, propose an ultimatum. Sharp would be allowed to go to Ponyville IF and only if she agreed to resume her practicing for the orchestra whilst there and once she returned.  To the polymath, the terms were golden, after all, it wasn’t as if she didn’t enjoy the practice. No, she did, what she didn’t enjoy was the prospect of being chained down to it, to be dedicated to only one field. Truly the worst possible thing.

And such ends the Polymath’s first misadventure. Join us next time as she takes on all Ponyville, and its not-so-sleepy residents have to offer!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The misadventures of a polymath. (Private)   The misadventures of a polymath. (Private) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The misadventures of a polymath. (Private)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2