OCRoleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A My Little Pony based Free-form roleplaying site, a place for your Original MLP Characters to call home.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Taking a break?; Absence Anouncements
"That's one small step for man, one... STOP POKING ME!"

Discussions: Bad clichés

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Doomande

Doomande

Discussions: Bad clichés Empty
PostSubject: Discussions: Bad clichés   Discussions: Bad clichés Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2015 2:08 pm

We have all heard and seem them, the few plot points or character traits that have returned once too many times and are now making one gag each time they are mentioned.

When you are new at RPing, or in general are meeting a new group for the first time do one often not know what there are good and bad cliches, so I would like to invite people to mention some of the things that they have seen too much of and would wish that they never saw again.

And for those new members there are peeking in here, do remember that just because something is a cliche does it not mean that it can't be done well. With a little twist or a new angle can the oldest idea become something new and fascinating, I mean look at the show we know and love of today, and then think on the last generation and how big a difference there is.
Back to top Go down
ObsidianPony
Admin
Admin
ObsidianPony

PostSubject: Re: Discussions: Bad clichés   Discussions: Bad clichés Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2015 2:18 pm

I think the chief one is the thing that kills both good ships and most prominently CanonxOC ships: mismatched characters. The reality of it is if you're going to ship your OC with a canon character I've got no inherent problem with that but try to make sure at least some part of their personalities match up in some kind of believable way.

But even failing that, this isn't really a cliche as much behavior, is claiming canon characters, as in "no you can't have them, they're my ship". It's fine to do jokingly as we often do and I myself do with Spitfire but anyone trying to seriously do it needs to take a step back and remember this is supposed to be fun.
Back to top Go down
https://ocroleplay.forumotion.co.uk
Pony-at-Arms

Pony-at-Arms

PostSubject: Re: Discussions: Bad clichés   Discussions: Bad clichés Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2015 2:45 pm

Needed object to open door or save life is right next to their feet once danger starts its final attack cliché Razz
Back to top Go down
Doomande

Doomande

PostSubject: Re: Discussions: Bad clichés   Discussions: Bad clichés Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 4:15 pm

One cliché that I really cant take anymore is the "parent was killed by X, so therefore does OC hate race X". Yes its nice that your char hates griffins, dragons, changelings or what not, but please give me another reason than the death of a parent.

The whole "was left alone and had to defend for him/herself, and are now the strongest in the world" trope is also really overdone if you ask me. Sure a character becomes gritty if you do something like that, but I do not want grint in my else lovely smooth RP, thank you were much.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Discussions: Bad clichés   Discussions: Bad clichés Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Discussions: Bad clichés
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
OCRoleplay :: New Members/Unfamiliar Go Here :: OOC Talk-
Jump to: