OCRoleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A My Little Pony based Free-form roleplaying site, a place for your Original MLP Characters to call home.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Taking a break?; Absence Anouncements
"That's one small step for man, one... STOP POKING ME!"

Discussion: What makes or breaks a RP?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Doomande

Doomande

Discussion: What makes or breaks a RP? Empty
PostSubject: Discussion: What makes or breaks a RP?   Discussion: What makes or breaks a RP? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2015 2:15 pm

I have been going around with this question nagging me for quite some time now, and I do not know why I haven't asked it before, but what makes or breaks a RP?

I would like to start out by mentioning a few things. Something that really makes a game for me is a simple premise, I do not need epic tales of world savings, or quests to save ones true love in less than 48 hours because the moon are descending to earth. Just give me something simple, give me a little girl lost in the woods who have a magical book on her back that a small group of cultists need to summon their lv 5 demon lord which would have failed anyway.

But with that said, while the premise can be as simple to awake too early from a magical slumber and realise that the world have gone into the shitter, something that can break even the best premise and the descriptions from the best writer are if people are hurrying on me. I want to explore the world, take it in in my own pace and get the relations sat between characters before I go out exploring. If a GM tries to railroad me and push me along do I see red and what there before were fun becomes the worlds most boring chore.

There are also other things that can make or break my RPs but I thought that I would start out simple before my word diarea drowns all of you =P
Back to top Go down
Mr. Market
Admin
Admin
Mr. Market

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: What makes or breaks a RP?   Discussion: What makes or breaks a RP? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 1:16 am

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but my biggest quip in regards to what can make or break an RP thread is dedication, commitment, and the willingness to do improvisation.

Dedication and commitment are vital when it comes to keeping threads going; If people/players/GMs don't try to act often enough or take very long with their turns, it holds things back. Get held back too much, and interest may be lost. Granted, this is pretty much a straightforward thought.

Willingness to improvise..... ANYTHING can be salvaged, ANY situation can be dealt with in some way. Any time anyone feels stuck, be it a player or a group, it helps to just wing it and get moving. A bit too often do I hear the words "I don't know what to do" or "I don't know how to do X" or "My character normally wouldn't do X". We're playing PRETEND to begin with using certain characters, the only thing limiting your options is yourself. Brainstorm and squeeze out any ideas you can come up with that may influence a character or situation to become unstuck; However absurd it may seem... I mean come on, we're mainly doing RPs based off My Little Pony; Surely we can be more lenient about unusual things being less unusual for the sake of progress once in a while.
Back to top Go down
Lorthalis of Crows

Lorthalis of Crows

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: What makes or breaks a RP?   Discussion: What makes or breaks a RP? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 1:28 am

Building on what Market says:
While it is important to make sure things don't go so out of hand that no one can have fun, too many restrictions are equally bad. Not being afraid to go into the realm of the ridiculous is important. If an RP is headed towards the PC's dueling the big bad with folding chairs atop a crumbling Canterlot, and and everyone involved is excited about doing that, then let it go there.
If one player wants to do that while the rest what to do some character development, placate/boot/delay as needed.
These mainly apply to GMs, but also to players. Planning out stuff can be fun, but being willing to adapt and scrap plans is also important. Because this group does much longer, more carefully thought out RP's, the folding chair scenario is less likely to happen. But if it does, embrace it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: What makes or breaks a RP?   Discussion: What makes or breaks a RP? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Discussion: What makes or breaks a RP?
Page 1 of 1