A My Little Pony based Free-form roleplaying site, a place for your Original MLP Characters to call home.

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Taking a break?; Absence Anouncements
"That's one small step for man, one... STOP POKING ME!"

Share | 

Night Duty (Private w/ Sword)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Star Sentinel

PostSubject: Night Duty (Private w/ Sword)   Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:50 am

Through out the barracks, ponies were either getting ready for their guard shifts or they were changing out of their armor and getting ready to head off for the night, having finished their shifts for the time being. Some were even talking to one another. Within all the sounds of changing and conversation, a single gray coated, black maned, thestral was idly mumbling about his task for the night as he changed into his armor. "Paired up with another pony and tasked with patrolling Canterlot for the night...Bleh. Orders are orders. Can't do nothing 'bout it."

He'd finish putting all of his armor except his helmet, looking it over with his teal colored eyes for a moment before brushing his mane back a bit with a hoof and putting it on. He looked himself over to make sure everything was nice and in place before taking his sword and putting it in it's proper place. He then turned and started trotting out of the barracks, idly wondering about what might happen this night. He actually kind of wondered who he was paired up with for this boring patrol. Patrolling was one of the tasks he disliked the most, he would have preferred standing around in one stop guarding a room or something like that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SwordSymphony

PostSubject: Re: Night Duty (Private w/ Sword)   Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:29 am

In a separate barracks, a lithe but toned mare tossed her mane out of her face as she adjusted her armor slightly, the lamellar plating flexing comfortably for her. "Alright, that's good." She vocalized her thoughts to herself as she carried on with her equipment checks. Not that she carried much else. She rejected the standard issue swords and spears the guard generally trained in favor of two armored forehooves. "Mm'kay, lets go get this night shift over with. Apparently I got some kinda tag along for the night. Hope he's worth a shit."

Exiting the female barracks, she started towards the male barracks, her approach easily marked by the *clack* *clack* sound of metal horseshoes on polished stone as she trotted down the hallway towards the stallion who was her patrol buddy for the night. "Hey you!" She called out as she spotted Star. "You Star Sentinel? Name's Sunset, and it looks like we're stuck together for the evening." Approaching him was a light grey mare, with a darker grey mane occasionally streaked with lighter grey matching her coat. Her eyes in comparison, were a clear blue as he could easily see her sizing him up. "Eh, you'll do. Let's get a move on eh?"

Star Sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Night Duty (Private w/ Sword)   Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:19 am

Star's ears perked up as he heard clacking of metal on stone. He stopped in his track and looked for the source of the sound, spotting a pegasus mare. He looked confused for a moment when she called out his name. "Yeah that's me." His confused look quickly fell away as he realized she was going to be the pony with him tonight. "Is that so. Well nice to meet ya then." He said, glancing over her for a second when he noticed her sizing him up.

He raised his eyebrow slightly at her comment about him, curious what she meant by that. His head juggled a couple ideas as he nodded to her. "Yeah. We should get going." He said simply, nodding a bit before turning and continuing on his way out of the castle to the streets of Canterlot. Along the way he let out a silent sigh to himself, getting a feeling that tonight might be a rather long night for him. Maybe it was because this mare seemed like the harsh type, or maybe he was just overthinking things. Either way, he quickly shoved those thoughts away to focus on the task at hoof, patrolling Canterlot with a mare.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SwordSymphony

PostSubject: Re: Night Duty (Private w/ Sword)   Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:14 pm

Following after Star, she kept pace with him as they ventured out onto the streets of nighttime Canterlot, eyeing the scant few ponies who still trekked the streets at this time of night. Seeing that things were relatively normal so far, she opted to examine her partner for the evening in greater detail. "Well he's certainly got the guard physique. Nice to know our PT standards haven't dropped. she mused to herself for a moment before speaking up. "So, looks like this one's gonna be a droll. How long ya been a guard Star? Or did you just get outta basic?" She asked, continuing to stay somewhat on alert, continuously scanning the alleys and street walkers as she talked.

Star Sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Night Duty (Private w/ Sword)   Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:13 pm

Star lazily scanned the streets, glancing over the few ponies out tonight quickly before turning his attention back forward. Despite his lazy scanning, he kept his ears alert for any sounds that might indicate something going on. He hadn't even noticed, or didn't care about, Sunset examining him. When she asked her question he looked back at her with a questioning look. "Huh? Oh well uh." He paused for a moment, still walking as he thought about her question. "Well, I finished basic a few months back, so I've been a guard for a few months. Uhh. How 'bout you?" He asked, turning the question back to her as he turning his gaze back forward. He was at least somewhat grateful that she had started a conversation, because he wasn't the best. Plus some talking was always good, in his opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SwordSymphony

PostSubject: Re: Night Duty (Private w/ Sword)   Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:57 pm

"Eh, a couple years now. It's not such a bad job once you get used to the crappy hours and occasional moron. Or..." Her eyes spotted someone rummaging through a bin outside of a fancier house. "Hey you! Stupid! Get the hell outta that!" The guilty party looked up with an alarmed look on his face before he scampered off down an alleyway. "Bah, ain't worth the sweat on my coat to chase that idiot. Speaking of morons right?" Sunset had a little laugh before straightening herself out. "Either way, round this corner up here is the one good perk to being on the Night Guard: Discount coffee. You do drink coffee right?" She asked, looking directly at him.

Star Sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Night Duty (Private w/ Sword)   Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:37 pm

Star nodded slightly to himself as he listened to Sunset. Yes, while the job wasn't bad, he joined the guard for his own personal reasons. He didn't care much of anything, besides the job, to be honest, but when his pegasus companion called out to somepony digging through the garbage, he stopped dead in his tracks and looked over at them. He didn't make any attempt to follow the pony, but with the comments from his companion and her laugh, he couldn't help but grit his teeth a bit. In that moment, he looked deep in thought, zoning off and completely forgetting about where he was and what he was supposed to be doing. But when his companion asked her question, he blinked and shook his head. "H-huh? O-oh, right coffee...Mmm." He shrugged a little to her. "Yeah I drink coffee. A bit hard not to with our hours, am I right?" He gave a small chuckle, still seeming a bit distant.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SwordSymphony

PostSubject: Re: Night Duty (Private w/ Sword)   Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:06 pm

Noticing her companion zoning, Sunset tapped him on his armor, a solid *Clink* resounding from her horseshoe as she did so. "Hey, Equestria to Star." As she took greater note of his expression, she frowned slightly but held her tongue for the moment as they rounded the corner to the coffee shop. "Yeah. You might have a slight edge on me being a thestral at night, but coffee keeps us all going."

Opening the door to the coffee shop, Sunset approached the counter and ordered herself a latte, leaving a few bits on the counter and turning to Star again. "So what was the sour face there Star when I yelled at that thief? Think I was stopping a pony from getting a free meal or something?" She asked casually, grabbing her drink as it was set on the counter.

Star Sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Night Duty (Private w/ Sword)   Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:04 am

Star nodded absently to Sunset, his mind still a little boggled up in his own thoughts. Though, he did smile just a tiny bit at her saying he had an edge cause of being a thestral. He followed behind her into the coffee shop, watching her as she ordered her latte. Once she was done with her order, he ordered himself a cappuccino, dropping the bits of the counter and waiting for his drink. In the meantime though, he looked at Sunset with a confused look. "Oh? Did I have a sour face? Heh...Sorry didn't notice." He scratched his nose a little, looking off the the side. "And no. It wasn't that. I was just reminded of some bad memories is all, nothing to it." He shrugged, taking his drink as well and raising it to his mouth to drink.

He paused, his drink stopping in front of his mouth. He then lowered the cup slightly and looked at Sunset. "Uhhmm...S-shouldn't we be patrolling the streets, not stopping at a coffee shop and getting ourselves a drink?" He asked her in a slightly, very slightly, worried tone, his ears flopping slightly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SwordSymphony

PostSubject: Re: Night Duty (Private w/ Sword)   Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:21 am

Sunset squashed the urge to pry further, instead opting to nod and sip her drink. "Yeah we all got those. No worries Star." Taking another sip, she turned her gaze to the street. "Not quite sure what you're talking about, we are patrolling the streets. Hanging out in 24/7 shops is part of that. It deters theft, and then when we leave, we'll go lurk on a rooftop for a bit and see if any lowlifes come out from the shadows to stick up the shop. You're gonna be really happy about the coffee when we're spending the next few hours on a roof with nothing to do." Finishing up her drink, she burped slightly, chuckling afterwards. "Then we'll patrol a bit longer unless we see or hear a signal for assistance before we take to the air and survey the area. In all likely hood nothing will happen." Throwing her cup away, she opened the door to go outside. "You ready to go rookie?"

Star Sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Night Duty (Private w/ Sword)   Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:49 am

Star was grateful Sunset didn't pry further, because he really didn't want to talk about it. As he listened to Sunset though, he drink his drink fairly quickly, enjoying it very much. He glanced out at the street for a second before wincing, hearing her burp. He gave a small chuckle as well. "Well that was a bit uncouth, don'tcha think?" He shrugged a bit to himself, finishing up his drink as well, tossing it in the trash. He nodded to her, following her out of the shop. "Hmm. Wouldn't clouds be better to lurk on? I mean, you'd be on top of them and you don't really see the tops of clouds from the ground so it's great for not being seen. Plus they're soft." He shrugged again, smiling a bit to himself. It was just one of the things he thought of on the spot and decided to voice it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SwordSymphony

PostSubject: Re: Night Duty (Private w/ Sword)   Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:21 am

Sunset fake scoffed at Star. "Bah, uncouth." When Star suggested clouds, she shook her head. "For proper surveillance we can't use cloud. We'd just stand out because we'd have to bring the clouds down low enough to be suspicious. Also doesn't help that the moonlight would just illuminate us even more. The rooftop gives us better cover." Bounding forward, Sunset leaped into flight, flapping her wings to gain altitude, scaling the eight story building that was in front of the shop, touching down once she cleared the ledge, waiting for Star to follow suit.

Star Sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Night Duty (Private w/ Sword)   Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:00 am

Star raised an eyebrow at Sunset scoffing at him before shacking his head. He gave her his undivided attention as she talked though, quite curious what she had to say on the matter. He thought about her words for a moment, humming to himself before shrugging his shoulders. "Yeah I guess that makes sense. Not that I'll argue with someone who's been doing this longer than me." He quickly flew after her, finding it easy to keep pace with her in their little flight. Flapping his wings a few more times to make his landing easier, he touched down on the rooftop gently, smiling a bit. He stretched his wings a little bit, rather enjoying their little flight up here. "Mmm...Short flight, but nice all the same." He mumbled to himself before walking over to the ledge and looking over down at the streets, scanning the area for anything that would call for action.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SwordSymphony

PostSubject: Re: Night Duty (Private w/ Sword)   Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:13 am

Sunset leaned against the ledge next to him, looking down as well. "And now it begins.... the mind-numbing tedium. You and I drew the short straw this time." Not seeing anything, and knowing she likely wouldn't see anything at all, she sighed and sat on her haunches. "Welp, lemme know if ya see anything eh?"

After a little while, she'd look up at Star. "So, since nothing's really gonna happen, what got you into the guard business Star? No one gets into it for the bits, or the good hours, that's for sure."

Star Sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Night Duty (Private w/ Sword)   Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:22 am

Star shrugged a little at Sunset. "Oh it can't be that bad." He commented as she sat down. He rolled his eyes a bit and shook his head. "Yeah yeah. If I see anything you'll be the first to know...probably." Now that they were higher up, he kept a closer eye out for anything happening on the streets, more than he had been when they were walking down on it. His gaze darted back and forth, watching every movement.

When Sunset spoke up, he turned his head towards her for a moment to listen to her question. He could help but smile a bit and shake his head. He turned his gaze back down to the streets to continue his scanning. "You don't know that...I could have joined the guard because of the bits for all you know." He kept quiet for a few moments before speaking up again. "But yes you're right. I didn't do it for the bits or anything like that. I did it because of Luna. See...I..." He paused, trying to think of how to word his thoughts. "I owe her a life debt, I suppose. And I intend to repay it when she needs it." He gave a small shrug. "Now why did you join the guard?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SwordSymphony

PostSubject: Re: Night Duty (Private w/ Sword)   Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:53 am

"No trust me, it's that bad. Poke me if you're gonna fall asleep" She replied, pawing absentmindedly at some grit on the rooftop whilst she idled the time away. When he did reply to her, she stood back up and joined him on the edge. "No I'm pretty sure I do. Our pay is shit" She replied with a bit of mirth, waiting for him to continue. "Ah, one of those. You ain't the first guard I've heard that one from. Doesn't make it any less respectable though."

When Star turned the question back around on her, she ran a hoof through her mane and then shook it back into the mess it started out as. "Turnabout's fair play eh? My dad was a guard of sorts. Damn good one so I hear. Since my sister couldn't do it, I decided to keep the tradition going, despite dad's insistence that I not. And mom..." Sunset shut herself up quite abruptly when the last word came out of her mouth. "Mom was fine with it. Not much more to say about it. The family is pretty familiar with Luna though. Sometimes she invites Mom and Dad out for dinner. I'm usually stuck on duty though. Shit luck on that front too, wouldn't mind me a few free meals on the royal dime."

Star Sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Night Duty (Private w/ Sword)   Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:57 am

"Of course I'm not the only one with a life debt to the princess...Probably the most interesting one though." Star mumbled quietly to himself, barely above a whisper. He tapped a hoof against his muzzle for a moment before nodding to Sunset about her comment at it being respectable. Listening closely to her as she explained her own reason for joining the guard, he couldn't help but smile to himself. When she had shut herself up so abruptly, he actually looked over to her to make sure everything was okay, which it was. He kept his eye on her for a few more seconds before looking back down. His interest peaked a bit when she mentioned her family was familiar with Luna and that she invites her Mom and Dad for dinner. "Huh...I suppose it makes sense. This is Canterlot..." He mused to himself before chuckling at Sunset a little. "Well I'm sure that shit luck will run out eventually, a good thing is bound to happen, but who knows."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SwordSymphony

PostSubject: Re: Night Duty (Private w/ Sword)   Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:52 pm

"Heh, unlikely. It'd be bad form for me to be out to dinner with the Princess. Every time I'd be up for promotion, ponies would be questioning if I earned it on my own merit, or got it from nepotism. So instead I get night duty. It'll pay off in a few years when I get high enough up on my own merit to establish my reputation." She cracked her neck and scanned the streets beneath them. "And then I'll get me those meals. But for now, we both get the pleasure of staring at mostly empty streets." She gave him a playful swat on the shoulder with her wing before returning to staring back down at the street.

Star Sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Night Duty (Private w/ Sword)   Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:22 am

"Hmm...Yeah your right. That would be pretty sucky being question about how you got promoted. Besides, a few years isn't that long." He shrugged leaning back from the edge and looking at her as she went about scanning the streets. He took a few seconds to actually look her up and down for the first time since he joined up with her for their shift. He smiled to himself and leaned back forward. "Hey, empty streets aren't bad. It just means we don't have to do anything." He optimistically said as she swatted his shoulder with her wing. He raised one of his wings and swatted her shoulder back, looking back over the edge down at the streets.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SwordSymphony

PostSubject: Re: Night Duty (Private w/ Sword)   Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:17 pm

As a couple of hours rolled by, and the streets remained quiet, Sunset decided that they'd spent enough time watching their quadrant and cracked her neck. "Alright, enough of this, let hit the streets eh?" Dropping off the roof, Sunset let herself free fall 8 stories before extending her wings, softly touching down and starting off down the street. When Star would follow suit, she'd speak up again. "Think we should check out the night club area. If we're gonna see any action tonight, it'll be there. If it ain't some drug pushing fuck, it'll be something, as long as they don't scatter at the mere sight of us."

Star Sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Night Duty (Private w/ Sword)   Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:42 am

As the minutes in the hours ticked by, Star was very much getting bored, seeing why no one seemed to like this task of being a guard. He let out a small yawn, his ears perking up as Sunset spoke up. "Sounds better than staying up here for another hour or two." He retorted before diving off the building after her. Nearing the ground, he quickly spread his wings and flapped, slowing his decent down till his hooves touched the ground. Folding his wings back to his side, he nodded to Sunset. "Yeah. Night club area sounds like a place where action would be. But don't know why'd they scatter at the sight of us. I mean, I'm pretty scrawny compared to other guards." He shrugged in a joking manner, quickly following after his pegasus companion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SwordSymphony

PostSubject: Re: Night Duty (Private w/ Sword)   Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:55 am

"We represent the law. The smart ones will fade away into the shadows. The cowards will scurry. And the stupid ones..." Sunset sighed as they rounded the corner, seeing two shadows illuminated in an alleyway, one obviously holding another up against the wall. "Won't even see us coming. Star, fly over to the other side of the alleyway, and be careful to not be noticed. Either this idiot will try to run away and get surprised by you, or the idiot will be dumb enough to attack what seems to be a lone guard, and get taken from behind by you, or overpowered by me."

Sunset then rounded to the alleyway, finding the culprit in question a large earth pony, holding a smaller unicorn up against the wall with his superior size. "Hey, you're under arrest. Release that unicorn now and come with me. You have the right to come peacefully unharmed, or with an asskicking, if you prefer. What's it gonna be dumbass?" Whilst smaller than the Earth Pony at hand, Sunset still projected nothing but confidence as she confronted the stallion, waiting for his move.

Star Sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Night Duty (Private w/ Sword)   Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:00 am

"But even scurrying away is sometimes smart, yes? Some cowards are the smart ones, and some smart ones are the cowards." Star said quietly as he gazed into the alleyway at the two ponies. Hearing Sunset's command, he quickly nodded and flew up, out of sight. Taking the chance to fly over to the other side of the alleyway like he was told while his pegasus companion distracted the earth pony. He ducked around the corner, but peeked out a bit to keep an eye on the earth pony and unicorn, ready to leap into action should something happen.

The earth pony quickly turned to look at Sunset, still holding the unicorn against the wall. "Stay out of this you royal guard fuck! This unicorn was the one trying to scam me, thinking I was dumb or something. I'm only repaying the favor by teaching him a lesson." The earth pony shouted at the pegasus, clearly pressing the poor unicorn against the wall harder. In response, the unicorn shouted the earth pony was crazy, trying desperately to push the earth pony away.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SwordSymphony

PostSubject: Re: Night Duty (Private w/ Sword)   Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:20 am

Sunset's eye twitched as the Earth Pony insulted her, and the guard all at the same time. "I'm sorry sir, I don't believe you heard me clearly. You must be deaf." She began to trot up to the stallion, cracking her neck as she did so. "But luckily for you, I happen to speak sign language. Now pay close attention please." In an instant, she shifted from a four hoofed trot to a bipedal stance, her right hind leg lashing out with a bone crunching kick that connected easily with the stallions side, knocking him off the Unicorn as he stumbled back, favoring his right side. "You have..." Sunset weaved to the left, ducking under a right hoofed blow swung by the stallion, her then raising her left forehoof to push the blow further off course before her right forehoof smashed home into the joint the limb was connected to. Pressing further, she followed her natural momentum, flaring her wings out to stabilize herself as she pivoted and then pushed the stallion up against the brick wall as her left hoof connected with his throat, suspending him on his hind legs as he gasped for air. "The right to remain silent. I recommend you exercise it." Sunset removed her hoof from his throat, the stallion then falling onto his haunches.

Turning to the end of the alleyway, she called for Star. "Star! Check this unicorn for injuries and keep an eye on this thug will ya? Imma call for a jail transport." Walking out to the open street, she pulled her guard issue signal out, pressing the rune for a jail carriage and a first aid request, looking back at the assailant she subdued. "Yeah... he's probably got a cracked rib or 2 and a dislocated forehoof..." she mumbled to herself as she kept an eye out for the carriage.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Night Duty (Private w/ Sword)   

Back to top Go down

Night Duty (Private w/ Sword)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1