A My Little Pony based Free-form roleplaying site, a place for your Original MLP Characters to call home.

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Taking a break?; Absence Anouncements
"That's one small step for man, one... STOP POKING ME!"

Share | 

Initiation into knighthood

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Zen

PostSubject: Initiation into knighthood   Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:42 pm

And so the day of the final trial has come. Earlier in the morning, the recruits had been roused from their slumber and told to prepare for the worst before being carted off away from the training ground. Hours later, the small caravan of carts pulled up to a large mound of earth with one side of which lacked the greenery that decorated the rest. That one side instead sported the cold greys and browns of stone and dirt surrounding several roughly circular black holes of darkness where the light didn't penetrate the caves. Grand Marshall Breaker steps up towards the entrance of the cave system and turns about to address all the new recruits.

"First off, allow me to congratulate you all on making it this far, but now the true test lies before you. You're mission is to clear this cave system of threats as reported by the town. The actual reports of what kinds of monsters you might fight in this cave are vague at best, so you will be charging into this situation with little knowledge of the opposition. Exercise extreme caution in your approach as we knights will not come to your rescue should you get into trouble. This is the final test, fail it and you will either be dismissed from the program or you will be dead. If anyone wishes to quit now, go back and stand over near the carts," Breaker commands. A few of the guards heed his words, 3 in total, hang their heads and begrudgingly trot back over to the carts where they stand while trying to make themselves as small as possible to hide their almost palpable shame. When it becomes apparent that no others are going to be scared off that easily, the Grand Marshal smiles, though it seems more directed towards the quitters than those that stayed. "Very well, the rest of you will be paired up before going into the cave. Good luck and goddess's blessings upon you all," he says finally before the other nights step forward to hand over everyone's gear from the transports. Knight apprentices Faerie Fire and Sacred Chime are paired together (obviously) and shown to a cave 2nd from the left before given the signal to begin the operation.

The cave itself isn't massive, but it's not small, easily large enough for both 'ponies' to walk side by side even in their full gear but not much more. The cave was also fairly dark, slightly damp, and reeked of a monstrous stench mixed with the smell of rotting flesh. For this first part, the layout of the cave was somewhat straight with a slowly sloping downward dirt floor. Obvious traces of things going and leaving from the cave could be seen, but there was such an abundance of traffic that individual prints were impossible to distinguish.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, here we go guys. I've just got one modification to make to the gear, and that's the standard layout of potions being 3 health and 3 magicka each. Otherwise, I think we're good to go. You both also have a torches to see with if you so choose to use them as it's quite dark in this cave. Dark enough that you'll need them or some other light source to see. And I do believe I will go with anthro for this game for simplicity's sake.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lorthalis of Crows

PostSubject: Re: Initiation into knighthood   Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:10 pm

Nyx grumbles, a cave not being the ideal place in her opinion. The open plains would've been better. Better than a castle though. She pulls out her halberd, ready to poke at enemies around the massive wall of metal and wood that would be going in front of her. That, at the very least, was a stroke of luck. She could not yet wield a tower shield and halberd in conjunction, making Scared a very good partner, in her opinion. She called a simple spell of summoning to mind, just a basic skeleton. "On we go." She says to Sacred as they head into the cave. She was assuming he understood what their strategy would, based if nothing else on their respective gear.

"I'm on my way Sister."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WiserOdin032402

PostSubject: Re: Initiation into knighthood   Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:03 pm

Sacred Chime wasn't much big on caves, despite being a thestral with natural dark-vision. He moved in front of Nyx, holding his tower shield and mace at the ready. He was going to be using his natural dark-vision to see as Nyx readied her torch. He personally liked having Nyx around, as she seemed to make everything interesting. Sure, they had moments and such, but they were a very good team. "I'll be taking point. Be sure to poke around me instead of poking me." He pushed forward, ready to bash anything that gave them trouble.

Zen

PostSubject: Re: Initiation into knighthood   Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:43 pm

The cave gradually leveled out as the two delved deeper into it's depths, and would occasionally turn to either the left or right. It also wasn't too long before the distant echoes of battle resounded out within the cave. While Faerie and Sacred might not have anything immediately fighting them, it would seem some of the other teams of recruits had met opposition. Unfortunately, the echo effect of the cave made it almost impossible to determine how far or exactly what direction the noise was coming from aside from ahead.

Eventually though, the two would stumble upon a fork in the tunnels. To the left and around a very sharp corner, the pair could see a single recruit illuminated (almost blindingly so for Sacred) by a few dropped torches and a manifested light spell. Covered in light armor, the knight was shakily holding out a shortsword to a small horde of creatures that had her backed against a wall, swinging at any who got too close but only truly succeeding at delaying the inevitable by herself. There were 5 of them, standing just a bit shorter than the knight, sporting some crude armor that was a mix of leather, wood, and bones. Three were wielding crude but heavy looking stone clubs and 1 held a spear. The last however had it's knobby green fingers curled around the grip of sharply gleaming metal ax.

There were no signs of her designated partner, and neither she nor any of the creatures seemed to have noticed Sacred and Faerie's presence yet. The right path of the fork however seemed to head deeper into the cave system, and a glow could be seen coming from somewhere down it's length. There were also a few paths splintering off from the room the surrounded knight was in, but those would need to be difficult to enter with the fight going on in the room.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lorthalis of Crows

PostSubject: Re: Initiation into knighthood   Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:34 am

Faerie would cast Summon Skeleton as soon as she saw the horde of creatures. Her boney minion would charge the horde swinging its crude axe wildly. Meanwhile, she would urge Sacred forward. "You take care of the creatures, I'll get her out of the way" she says, tossing a flare around him at one of the creatures. Her halberd at the ready, she would pull the Knight out of harm's way once Sacred was engaged in combat.

"I'm on my way Sister."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WiserOdin032402

PostSubject: Re: Initiation into knighthood   Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:02 pm

Sacred Chime closed his eyes briefly, shutting off his dark-vision so the torches didn't blind him. He saw the recruit and the horde of creatures, and did what he did naturally. "That's the plan." He charged in, tower shield raised, placing himself between the recruit and the horde of creatures. He would take a swing at the closest creature with his mace as Faerie pulled their fellow knight out of harm's way.

Zen

PostSubject: Re: Initiation into knighthood   Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:10 pm

As Faerie, her summoned skeleton, and Sacred rush in to assist, the other apprentice finally notices and her posture reflects the relief she must be feeling as Sacred tries to be a wall. Unfortunately, she wasn't the only one to notice the loud clanks of plate armor, and so Sacred's swing clashed with one mace that almost overpowered his swing while a second one slammed into the tower shield with enough force to threaten the thestral's balance. These goblins were stronger than they would seem... and come to think of it, stronger than they should be.

As if to further prove the point, Faerie's skeletal minion barely got one swing in before a return swing from the ax wielding goblin knocked it's spine loose and the whole construct fell to the ground.

The flare spell however hit with the expected action, smacking into the spear wielding goblin that let out something between a squeal and a snort as it patted the impact site. As for the Night herself, she shrugged off Faerie's attempt to pull her off to the side. "Hey, I'm not useless here, just out numbered," she said before trying to prove her point by taking and landing a swing against a club goblin that'd gotten close in the shadow of Sacred's shield. "Stick with the fire, they don't seem to like it," she called out then while thrusting one hand out towards the goblin she'd just struck, casting a flare spell herself that hit and forced the already injured goblin staggering back.

So far 1 of the club wielding goblins, the spear wielder, and the ax holder were all at least slightly injured, though the ax goblin seemed to be in marginally better condition. The ax wielder was hanging back slightly, while Sacred was nearly surrounded on three sides by 2 of the club wielding goblins and a spear wielder, all of which took uncoordinated swings at him. The last club wielding goblin tried to take a swing at Faerie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lorthalis of Crows

PostSubject: Re: Initiation into knighthood   Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:18 pm

Faerie is a tad worried by how strong the goblins are, watching them almost completely overpower Sacred in the opening blows. She lets go of the Knight, happy that she would contribute. "Good! I'm with you on the fire thing!" Faerie quickly tosses a flare at the same goblin as the Knight, hopefully killing it. In response to the goblin attacking her, Faerie would quickly dart her halberd forward to halt his swing, then pull back and cast flare.

"I'm on my way Sister."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WiserOdin032402

PostSubject: Re: Initiation into knighthood   Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:40 am

Sacred Chime didn't expect his mace strike to clash with a club strike stronger than his own, and was almost thrown off balance...except for the fact that his tower shield was designed to help him maintain balance, and he was ready to block the second strike...which made him step back a bit. Obviously blocking wasn't the most efficient thing to do here, obviously because someone had given these goblins steroids. "Well, isn't this a shitty position to be in?" He saw the three goblins around him move, and he ran through the possible scenarios in his head in half of a second.

Sacred Chime moved, and he moved fast. He moved out of the reach of the club wielding goblins and used his tower shield to not only block the strike of the spear-wielding goblin, but keep it away from him as he moved up. Now came the fun part. He moved around the spear wielder and swung his mace at it, making sure to keep himself from being surrounded again.

Zen

PostSubject: Re: Initiation into knighthood   Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:36 pm

Despite the unusual strength of these goblins, they didn't seem particularly tougher than what they were supposed to be as per the reports on them. The club wielding goblin who'd take the two fire attacks buckled under the second one, let out a final death screech snort as it fell backwards from the impact of the spell. Moving right onto the next enemy, the knight stepped up to the other club wielding goblin, going with a 2-hand thrust of her shortsword, only to have it deflected downward with enough force to almost force the weapon from her hand. The goblin followed up with an upward back swing the slammed into the knight solidly, knocking her off her feet and back a few feet and forcing the weapon from her hand. In retaliation though, she did throw out her now open hands and launched another flare spell at the goblin.

As Sacred circled around the spear wielder, keeping it's weapon trapped behind the bulwark of his shield, it's attempts to get him were thwarted. When his swing came to descend on it, the mace landed solidly on the creature's side, drawing blood and a fierce cry from the monster. Sacred wouldn't have time to celebrate though for as he'd gone in to swing at the spear wielder, the ax holding goblin rushed forward and made a swipe at him from his blind side with that same unnatural power.

Faerie's attempt to intercept the club wielding goblin would merit it's own level of success as well, as she was able to make contact, but that same unnatural strength was present here to. When the Goblin's swing made contact with Faerie's she would find her halberd forced backward through her grip, and only stopping when the pommel slammed into the ground. As the goblin raised it's club for a second strike though, it caught the flare spell square in the chest and recoiled considerably, patting at the newly burned area.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lorthalis of Crows

PostSubject: Re: Initiation into knighthood   Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:48 pm

Faerie jerks back in surprise, cursing under her breath. "Bloody hell! Is there a mage bolstering them or something?!" Seeing the knight get disarmed and knocked back, Faerie maneuvers to prevent the goblins form closing on the downed warrior, keeping a strong grip on her halberd int he hopes of at least parrying the blows. She she isn't parrying, she's launching flares into the mass. "Hey, new person. Stay back and keep firing! Our swords aren't doing much at any rate."

"I'm on my way Sister."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WiserOdin032402

PostSubject: Re: Initiation into knighthood   Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:18 pm

Sacred Chime withdrew his mace as the spear goblin recoiled, then went in for another strike, ducking down and swinging low at the goblin as he moved even further forward. He then heard a loud scraping noise on his armor as a swipe just barely made contact with him. He moved back again, making sure the axe wielder was in his vision before moving in to attack his new target.

Zen

PostSubject: Re: Initiation into knighthood   Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:47 pm

Faerie would have just barely enough time to rush over and begin deflecting the rain of blows from the club wielding goblin, but she'd be completely unable to retaliate. Each blow threatened the rip the halberd from her hands if either one let go for even a moment. Luckily she wasn't alone, and the other initiate knight crept to Faerie's left side, waited for an opening and launched a new flare spell at the goblin who caught it solidly in the shoulder. The impact sent the green skinned monster spiraling to the floor. Though this time Faerie would be the one with no time to celebrate for as that goblin fell, the other club wielding goblin that she hadn't finished off, took a swing at her with it's club from the right side.

The spear wielding goblin took the low swing and toppled over into a slightly twitching lump on the ground, but the ax wielder though remained undeterred. With his one attack coming just shy of the heavily armored initiate, it pressed it's attack more, bringing down that ax in a powerful vertical strike.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lorthalis of Crows

PostSubject: Re: Initiation into knighthood   Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:43 pm

Faerie was not happy about this turn of events. Instead of being able to help destroy the goblins with her magic, she was forced on the defensive. A suboptimal turn of events to be sure. Nodding to the Knight, she blocks the club, wincing at the force behind the blow. She doesn't bother counter attacking, suspecting that she would be quickly disarmed in the attempt. Instead, she lets the Knight handle the attacking, and focuses on protecting her and Sacred's blind spot.

"I'm on my way Sister."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WiserOdin032402

PostSubject: Re: Initiation into knighthood   Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:44 pm

Sacred Chime would turn as the spear wielder dropped, swinging his tower shield in front of the axe-goblin's attack. The shield would absorb most of the attack, but Sacred would stumble backwards from the enhanced strength, the tower shield keeping him from falling backwards. He would lunge at the goblin, tower shield raised as he again swung at its abdomen.

Zen

PostSubject: Re: Initiation into knighthood   Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:38 pm

True to form, Faerie would be more or less forced onto the defensive as the goblin started to rain down blows on her halberd. The other knight however easily picks up the slack as she throws out one fire spell at the club wielder, but when she went for a second one, barely a couple sparks sprung from her palm. While she cursed under her breath and began to dig for a mana potion among her gear, the singed goblin reached forward with it's open hand to try and grab onto the shaft of the weapon to pull it out of the way of it's next vertical attack.

Sacred would be having an even rougher time given the goblin's unnatural strength, the actual weapon it carried, the slight intelligence it'd shown by attempting a surprise attack, and his lone stance against the monster. His lunge at the monster simply put himself within reach of the the second sudden horizontal swing the ax wielding goblin unleashed. The backhanded slash clashing with Sacred own, only the goblin's threatened to tear Sacred's weapon from his hand. The goblin followed up that slash with a punch that carried enough force to dent armor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lorthalis of Crows

PostSubject: Re: Initiation into knighthood   Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:44 pm

Faerie simply backs up, keeping the weapon out of reach and ready to block the next swing. She still had some space left, and could only hope the Knight would be able to finish this one off so she could push forward again. As much as she'd like to help Sacred, she was unable to. "You're on your won friend. I've got my hands full with this one." She mutters to him, not caring if her voice was lost amidst the clanging.

"I'm on my way Sister."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zen

PostSubject: Re: Initiation into knighthood   Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:53 pm

With Faerie able to keep the goblin's unusually powerful swings at bay, the other initiate was easily able to drink her potion and cast out her flare spell. The goblin took the shot to the shoulder, sending it spiraling to the ground with a thin trail of smoke. The goblin didn't move after it's impact, showing that it had died from that blast of magic that charred and scored its flesh.

As the goblin's attack connected, Sacred's mace was ripped from his hands and sent careening across the room where it clanged loudly against the ground. His shield held up under the devastating blow from the goblin's follow up attack, but it nearly dropped they heavily clad cadet to his knees. The last standing goblin proceeded to then start raining down blows on the impressive bulwark. The metal of the shield was holding for the moment, but each hit either left a dent or deepened the already present ones.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WiserOdin032402

PostSubject: Re: Initiation into knighthood   Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:21 pm

Sacred Chime cried out in pain as his mace was flung away, and raised his shield to block the attacks. His right hand merely hurt, not broken, thanks to his gauntlet. He dropped to his knees blocking the attacks and gasped for breath. He came to a realization. If I don't do something fast...I'm going to die.

Die.

That word reverberated in his head for a split second, right before he let out a roar, standing up and shoving the goblins back using his shield. He would immediately bring the bulwark down on the foot of one, before lashing out at the other with his right hand, index and middle finger extended to gouge out its eyes. He kept his shield raised, mainly for bashing and protection. He would use it to bash away any goblin that got close before crushing its foot with the mass of steel and wood.

Lorthalis of Crows

PostSubject: Re: Initiation into knighthood   Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:46 pm

Faerie Fire, seeing that there was only one goblin left, nudged the Knight next to her, points, and fires a Flare spell at it. Hopefully the Kmnight would do the same, before Sacred died.
The pony in question (sacred) was apparently having a berserker moment. Nyx readjusted her aim, trying to thread the shot so that her ally was not slain by her own hand.

"I'm on my way Sister."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zen

PostSubject: Re: Initiation into knighthood   Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:13 am

The first bash pushed the whole goblin back, it's stumbling backwards pulling the misshapen, knobby feet out of the shield's range. The goblin however displayed yet another surprising feat when it managed to grab Sacred's right hand that had shot out to strike it. But the monster only managed to hold on for a second before the next shield bash coupled with Faerie's and the other knight's flare spells slammed into it's leathery hide. The goblin let out a garbled cry as it fell backwards in a heap.

"Phew, looks like that's the last of them for this spot," the knight said thankingly while extending her covered hand out to shake. "Good thing you two showed up. My partner for this exercise was bringing up the rear. Guess it was just dumb luck that I missed the trap when coming through that tunnel," she said with a look back to the collapsed entrance and the single exposed arm from a mountain of rocks. "Damn, he was good looking too," she said pessimistically while kicking at a stone.

Even with the lack of immediate sounds of battle, the caves still weren't entirely quiet. Distant echoes of possibly similar struggles could be heard, but in the maze of tunnels, it was impossible to tell from which way they came. Aside from the tunnel that Faerie and Sacred had entered from, there was only one way out of this little chamber, the tunnel ahead which curved to the left and downward almost immediately.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lorthalis of Crows

PostSubject: Re: Initiation into knighthood   Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:55 pm

Faerie Fire nods, tugging the Knight over. "Right, do you know any healing spells? Also, I assume you won't be opposed to traveling with us, at least for the duration of this exercise?" She says, basically assuming the Knight would accept her offer. She'd have to be incredibly stupid not to, considering what they had just dealt with. Meanwhile, Faeri laments her own inability to heal Sacred. "I have got to learn heal other...."

"I'm on my way Sister."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WiserOdin032402

PostSubject: Re: Initiation into knighthood   Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:01 pm

Sacred Chime panted heavily, taking off his tower shield and sat down. He was otherwise unharmed other than his hurting arms, and cast a light healing spell. He sat and listened a little bit, before looking at Faerie and smiling. "I'll teach you when we get back, okay?" After that, he'd pick up his shield and go to find his mace.

Zen

PostSubject: Re: Initiation into knighthood   Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:34 pm

"He seems to have himself covered, but if the option to tag along is open, I'll take it. Can't exactly expect to finish this test on my own after my partner was crushed," the fellow recruit replies as she moves to follow them. "So onward we go?"

Sacred wouldn't have really any trouble finding his mace, the weapon having stopped almost against the wall of the little cavern.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lorthalis of Crows

PostSubject: Re: Initiation into knighthood   Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:39 am

Nyx nods to the Knight, waiting on Sacred to find his gear before setting out. She keeps her halberd at the ready, cursing the close quarters of the cave. To Knight, as much as she can without breaking concentration, she asks "What is your name, by the way? I don't know if I caught it amidst the fighting."

"I'm on my way Sister."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Initiation into knighthood   

Back to top Go down

Initiation into knighthood
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next